Main content of the website

Municipal Enforcement

The Town of Crossfield employs a community peace officer who is appointed by Town council and has the authority to educate and enforce municipal bylaws and certain provincial legislation. 

The community peace officer is appointed through Alberta Justice and the Solicitor General. The peace officer provides public education on law enforcement and community safety matters. 

Provincial legislation the community peace officer can enforce include:

  • Animal Protection Act
  • Dangerous Dog Act
  • Dangerous Goods Transportation & Handling Act
  • Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Part 9, Division 2
  • Fuel Tax Act
  • Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act
  • Highways Development and Protection Act
  • Line Fence Act
  • Petty Trespass Act
  • Provincial Offences Procedure Act
  • Tobacco and Smoking Reduction Act
  • Stray Animals Act
  • Traffic Safety Act
  • Trespass to Premises Act

Provincial legislation does not allow the community peace officer to deal with criminal matters.

The community peace officer is also available to assist residents with bylaw issues that may arise in our community. Please refer to the Town of Crossfield bylaws page [link] for up-to-date information on Town bylaws.

For bylaw issues, please complete the online complaint form or contact Officer Trevor Stephens directly at (403) 312-7115.   

If you have an emergency situation, please call 911.