Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
| Print Link

Animal Services

Dogs Dog

Animal Services

Animal control is the responsibility of all pet owners. All dogs within the Town limits must be licensed. Cat(s) are not required to have a license.

Please refer to Town of Crossfield Dog Control Bylaw 2017-13 and Cat Control Bylaw 2010-12 for information and fees.

We are pleased to announce the 2018 Dog Tags are now available.

The fee for a dog tag is $26 for altered dog, and $41 for unaltered dog. Licenses are valid from January to December and must be renewed yearly. 

Failure to renew or register your dog may result in fines. Dog License Application form can be printed out and sent in along with payment, or you may wish to stop by the Town Administration Office during business hours.

Please refer to our Parks and Pathways for more information and locations for dog friendly parks and off leash areas. Doggie clean up stations are located around Town, please remember to clean up after your pet.




 Urban Hen Pilot Program

At the December 20, 201Hens 7 regular Council meeting Council approved a motion to proceed with a 1 year Urban Hen Pilot Program starting January 31, 2017 and ending January 31, 2018 using the Guidelines and Regulations as prepared by Administration and accepted by Council.      

At the regular Council meeting of January 16, 2018, Council passed a motion to extend the Urban Hen Pilot Program for another year, ending January 31, 2019.                   

A few highlights from the Guidelines and Regulations are as follows:          

A person may apply to keep no more than three (3) urban hens in a single property.

No rooster will be permitted.

The owner must be 18 years of age or older.        

Hens kept on the property are for personal use only.

No person shall keep a hen or hens on a parcel in a single family residential zone having an area less than 464.52 m2 (5,000 ft2).     

Each Hen must be registered under the Premises Identification (PID) Program through Alberta Agricultrual and Foresty

Every building (coop) or enclosure used to accommodate hens must be:

    a) located in the rear yard of the lot behind the dwelling;

    b) a minimum of 3.0 m (9.8 ft) from the principal building;

    c) a minimum of 1.0 m (3.3 ft) from any property line;

    d) a maximum of 10 sq m (107.6sq ft) in size;        

    e) located at ground level, and a maximum of 2.0 m (6.5 ft) in height;

     f) provide each hen with at least one nest box and one perch, that is at least 15 centimeters [6 inches] long, within
      a coop.         

The maximum number of urban hen licenses that may be issued in the Town for the period that the Urban Pilot Program is in force shall be fifteen (15).  Each subsequent year, and if the program is approved to continue, the maximum number of hen licenses that may be issued shall be one hen license per one hundred (100) persons, based on the population of the Town of Crossfield as determined in the most recent census.    

The Town is collecting names of interested residents who meet all the criteria as set out in the Urban Hen Pilot Project Guidelines and Regulations, who wish to participate in this program.          

Urban Hen Pilot Program Guidelines & Regulations

Urban Hen Piliot Program Registration Form

Raising Chickens In Alberta - Poultry Reserach Centre- Government of Alberta


For Wildlife or Pest concerns residents may wish to contact;